Located in the heart of Florida wildlife, Lecanto, Florida, highlights Florida's countryside while offering easy access to large cities, such as Tampa, Orlando and Gainesville. Life Care Center of Citrus County is close to many freshwater springs, horse country and the Gulf of Mexico. For a day trip, we suggest:
- Ellie Schiller Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park is home to manatees, key deer, alligators, birds, flamingos and even a hippopotamus. There are opportunities to encounter wildlife up close and take a boat ride down Pepper Creek.
- Weeki Wachee Springs State Park is the only mermaid park in the world, featuring a live mermaid show in a submerged theater. There is also a spring-fed waterpark, a river boat cruise and many other outdoor activities.
- Crystal River National Wildlife Refuge has many warm water springs, including the Three Sisters Springs, where visitors can snorkel, scuba dive and swim with manatees.
- Crystal River State Archaeological Site is an old Native American burial and trading ground with a temple area, a trading area and ancient dumping mounds, called middens. Visitors can explore the grounds and enjoy outdoor activities, such as fishing and hiking.
- Don Garlit’s Museum of Drag Racing is a unique find, displaying the history of drag racing from its roots, dating before 1950, to present day. The museum features more than 300 cars and thousands of artifacts from the sport.